The Story Behind ''sous vide''
A better way of cooking; Here we are also gonna learn about molecular gastronomy
Sous-vide is derived from French. The English name is “slow-cook” , the meaning of “undervacuum” . Through scientific research, scientists find out the temperature range of protein cells in each food, thus calculate the blasting temperature to control the moderate denaturation of the protein and how long it takes to cook the food well. It has appeared in the 18th century and was officially used in the restaurant in France in the 1970s. With the rise of molecular cuisine, low-temperature slow cooking has become popular in the international food industry. It is a kind of cooking that many Michelin chefs love. In 1992, the Hungarian physicist 'Nicholas Kurt' and the French food scientist 'Hervé This' proposed the term "molecular and physical cuisine", the principle is to vacuum the meat and vegetables in a heat-resistant plastic bag. Then, place it in a low-temperature slow-cooking machine and cook in a constant temperature water bath for a long time.
What is molecular gastronomy?
Molecular Gastronomy, the world's most pioneering way of cooking. The so-called molecular gastronomy is to use scientific methods to understand the physical or chemical changes and principles of the ingredients, and then use the experience and data to recreate the food. Just as Einstein, the original non-physicist, created a new theory of physics, the initiator of molecular gastronomy was also a non-professional chef, founded by a physicist ‘’Nicholas Kurti‘ ’and a chemologist Herve ‘’This‘’ instead.
What are the benefits of vacuum low temperature cooking?
1. Reduce the loss of water. The traditional method of cooking food will reduce the weight by 15%-20%, most of which is the moisture in the food (fragmentation and recombination of protein molecular chains cause the water molecules to precipitate), and the food will get older and harder. However, if cooked in a vacuum low temperature method, and the water loss is only between 5% and 8%, and the food appears tender.
2. Preserve the original flavor of the food. Reduce the use of salt or not use at all, retain the nutrients of the food, separate the food juice and water, preserve the vitamins better than steaming and boiling, and guarantee that the results of each cooking are the same.
3. Keep the taste of the ingredients tender and smooth, making it natural soft.
4. Block the contact between food and oxygen to prevent bacteria from spoiling food.
5. Scientific and refined cooking, stable quality.
6. Slight oil cooking, healthy & low fat.
Since only a small amount of water is precipitated in the meat during long time cooking. Most of the flavor, minerals and DAA in the meat remain in the meat, so the use of seasonings can be reduced, at the same time the nutrients of food will be preserved, especially water-soluble minerals, vitamin B . Therefore, "low temperature slow cooking" is very suitable for human body absorption!
Equipment required for low temperature cooking:
1. Vacuum machine
Vacuum machine is to extract the air in the fixed space to make the object exist under vacuum.In low-temperature cooking, the main function of the vacuum compression packaging machine is that it can exist as a medium between the food material and the water.
2. Low temperature cooking machine
The main principle of the low-temperature cooking machine is that it can control the temperature for a long time, so that the main constant temperature is between 25 degrees and 99 degrees, the temperature control range is between 1 degree Celsius, and the temperature adjustable range is accurate to the decimal point on or two.
How to use it?
The steps are very easy and almost no difficulty. Simply add the water in the low temperature pan to the appropriate water level. Then turn on the power of the machine and set the temperature you want. The machine will start heating at this time. After reaching the set temperature, the temperature will remain the same. Then put the food into a vacuum bag that can withstand high temperatures. Extract the air and put it into the water after sealing, let the food slowly cook in hot water, and the food will release the most sodium glutamate at the suitable temperature, texture and nutrition are also optimal. The whole process varies from minutes to hours, even days.
Precautions for low temperature cooking:
1. When marinating and seasoning the food, avoid using flavoring agent that contains high concentration of alcohol, because the high-concentration alcohol flavor will seriously damage the protein component of the meat under constant temperature, resulting in the loss of the original taste.
2. In low temperature cooking, the lowest temperature we should use should be above 50°C. Especially when making low-temperature eggs, the temperature should be strictly controlled at 65-68°C. Eggs cooked at this temperature have a better taste and meet food safety requirements.
Suitable ingredients for slow cooker
Seafood: oysters,scallop, salmon and squid, etc.
Vegetables: carrots, pumpkins, jade melons, broccoli, etc.
Meat: beef, chicken, lamb, duck and goose, etc.
Healthy Slow Cooking Tips
1. The cutting size and thickness of materials are the key.
2. The temperature and time required for slow cooking of various ingredients are different.
3. Bean food cannot use the device, there is a risk of poisoning.
4. When pickling food, pay attention to seasoning and do not add too much oil and salt.